How to Travel in Paris – Christmas Adventures
Paris may be the most visited city in the world! It’s romantic, beautiful and has incredible architecture. It is definitely a “must visit” for everyone!
I have decided to do something different this year for Christmas and spend it in Paris. It is the first time I haven’t been with my family for this special time of the year, but it was for sure a great adventure.
In this article I will talk about all the things people have told me about Paris, that are not actually true, I will tell you how to get around by public transportation, where you can stay, what you can eat and how are the people. Basically, how to travel in Paris. Enjoy and tell me what you think in the comment section!
Myths and Facts
I would really want to start with the things that people have told me about Paris! You know what they say: “Don’t listen to them, go see yourself!” and that’s exactly what I did.
1. A lot of people have told me that french people will not talk to me in English as they will expect me to know their language. That is totally not true! My french is far from perfect but I was actually trying to speak it and a lady in a store replied in English because she saw I was struggling. And this is just one example. I have several other similar stories. They are friendly and welcoming!
2. Some other people told me that I will get lost in the subway. Well, I didn’t. Of course, there are a lot of connections and metro lines there, but you have a map and you have signs everywhere to guide you. Use google maps as an extra guide and you will be fine!
3. They told me there are pickpocketers everywhere. My belonging are safe, nothing happened, but anything can happen everywhere, in any moment so you need to be careful. You can check my article about how not to get robbed while you travel here.
Where to Stay
I decided to be more adventurous this time. I have stayed for two nights, first night was spent in a hotel and the second night… Couchsurfing! It was the first time that I have tried this app and I am not sorry!
So, in case you don’t know what Couchsurfing is, I’ll explain. It is an application that connects travelers with hosts, so you can stay for free at someone’s home if they accept you. In case you are not looking for accommodation, you can just meet travelers like you and explore the city together.
It is a great way to connect around the globe and I definitely recommend it. But make sure you check the references each person has. I was lucky enough to meet great people so far.
Did you have any Couchsurfing experience? Good or bad, let me know in the comment section, I would really like to read about it!
What to Do
There are several places to visit and several things that you need to do in Paris, so I will list them below. Feel free to add more in the comment section!
1. Eiffel Tower – This one deserves to be first in this list. It is magnificent from every angle. You can go there and watch the sunset or sunrise and it’s going to take you breath away! You even have the option to go up in the tower. What do you think about it?
2. Sacré-Cœur – Don’t miss the Basilica of the Sacred Heart! Fun fact about it: it’s the second highest point in the city. I will let you guess the first. Take a look at it, during the day, but also during the night.
3. Notre-Dame de Paris – Another impressive building that you must see is the Notre-Dame cathedral. If you are lucky enough not to wait in a queue for too long, it’s worth going inside.
4. Louvre Museum – This is where da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is. The museum is huge, so you will need a lot of time here. Have you been here? What do you think about it?
5. Walk around and admire – The city is beautiful and even a walk around will inspire you and will make you want to come back.
6. Try French cuisine – There are a lot of things you should try. For example, their famous croissants, wine, cheese fondue (amazing) and my favorite: escargots! These are basically snails with garlic butter, as you can see in the picture below. Have you tried these? Did you like them?
What else did you try in Paris? Let me know about you experience in the comment section!
Paris, je t’aime!
So, what is the best way to spend Christmas? I would say, totally go to Paris. Except the fact that there was no snow, the atmosphere is magical, people are friendly and the food is delicious!
Take you time to wander around the streets of Paris, visit Louvre Museum, take pretty pictures at the Eiffel Tower and eat a croissant next to Seine river. I hope my guide about how to travel in Paris helped you.
Have you been to Paris? How was it? Share you thoughts in the comment section!